The definite article The used in specific word or that have been before. The may be followed by the things that can be counted or the things that aren't can be counted. The many used in the front of noun (the sun, the school, the girl/the boy, etc). The indefinite article a/an used in the thing that less than specific or not specific. Such as, shows people or things to audience or listener but not understood by those what things/people which are referred by the speaker. A article used before noun that started with consonant sound. For example: "I need a book." In the sentence we find the article 'a'. It shows us that the speaker does not need a specific book. He can have any book.
An article used the words that started with vowel sound(a,i,u,e,o). We take a sample: "I want an apple." In the sentence we find the article "an". It shows us that the speaker does not want a specific apple. He can have any apple. Use A and An article only before a singular noun. We can't use a and an before a plural noun. So, articles are used to differentiate between things or ideas. Usually expressed by nouns. The speaker/writer may be referring to a specific thing or idea, or a general one.
Some of the example from a, an and the
- Please give me the hammer.
- I like the flowers in your garden.
- Let's read the book.
- I need a bottle of water.
- My sister need a dictionary.
- He is a driver.
- I had a banana for lunch.
- Joe has an umbrella.
- I had an egg for breakfast.
- She has an easy job.
Exercise!
- His aunt is ___ teacher.
- ___ architec is trained in design, drafting, and economics.
- I woke up in ___ middle of the night.
- She is ___ doctor.
- ___ seal is an excellent swimmer.
- He is ___ author.
- Mount Everest is tallest maountain in ___ world.
- They wanted to hear ___ end of the story.
- ___ amazing thing happened to me yesterday.
- I think ___ man is very unfriend.
Book
by: Renna Melinda, R, Yuke Hilma and Raistiwar Pratama
publisher: Pustaka Widyatama
Yogyakarta, 2013

Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar